Monday, January 20, 2014

HEADING ON OUT

It is the beginning of Day 1 of my visit to special places and special friends in Italy.  It is nice to know some of the ones I'll be seeing just came over a few weeks ago for a visit.

My flight leaves a little later this morning.  All is packed (1 suitcase, 1 carry-on); boarding passes are printed; passport is at the ready.  Soon--heading to the airport.  Mobile's is not exactly O'Hare or Heathrow, but then neither are the screening and passport control lines.

My secret confession:  I love to be in other places, but I HATE going there.  I don't particularly long for the Star Trek transporter, but I do think of things like Between, the mode of transport between great distances featured in Anne McCaffery's sci-fi Dragons series, or even (if one's destination could be confirmed) CS Lewis' "Wood Between the Worlds" from the penultimate Narnian book, The Magician's Nephew.  One day...

Between here and Facebook I will be posting pictures (not totally, but in great part, of food).  I always tell people, when I'm encouraging them to join a group I lead, that anyone can show you a church or a ruin; I can show you the restaurants!

1 comment: